PGA Tour pros head back to the U.S. this week for the CareerBuilder Challenge in La Quinta, California. The competition kicks off on Thursday, Jan. 18.
Three courses will be in play during the weekend in La Quinta, California – the Stadium Course at PGA West, the Nicklaus Tournament Course, and La Quinta Country Club. The cut in the 72-hole event will be made after Saturday’s third round. Each player is paired for the first three rounds in twosomes, with their pro-am partners joining the group.
The players will rotate between the three courses throughout the first three rounds. The players who make the cut will play the Stadium Course, which measures 7,300 yards from the tournament tees, on Sunday.
In this tournament, Phil Mickelson will make his first start of the new year. Mickelson returns for his second year as tournament ambassador. In his 14 career starts, he has won twice (2002, 2004). Mickelson will be paired with Zach Johnson and this will be the 12th event these two have been paired together in at least one round of a stroke-play. Johnson has missed the cut at this tournament the previous three years.
Here is a quick look at this week’s featured groups. Tee times are shown for each group’s appearance on the Stadium Course at PGA West.
- Hunter Mahan, Ryan Palmer: Stadium Course tee time: Thursday, Rd. 1, 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. local)
- Patton Kizzire, Bill Haas: Stadium Course tee time: Thursday, Rd. 1, 1:10 p.m. ET (10:10 a.m. local)
- John Daly, Mike Weir: Stadium Course tee time: Friday, Rd. 2, 1:10 p.m. ET (10:10 a.m. local)
- Patrick Reed, Brandt Snedeker: Stadium Course tee time: Friday, Rd. 2, 1:20 p.m. ET (10:20 a.m. local)
- Jon Rahm, Bubba Watson: Stadium Course tee time: Saturday, Rd. 3, 12:50 p.m. ET (9:50 a.m. local)
- Zach Johnson, Phil Mickelson: Stadium Course tee time: Saturday, Rd. 3, 1:20 p.m. ET (10:20 a.m. local)
- Peter Uihlein, Sam Saunders: Stadium Course tee time: Saturday, Rd. 3, 1:30 p.m. ET (10:30 a.m. local)